Search This Blog

Saturday, June 9, 2018

Back to Minnesota for Dr. Nicol

By Melanie Nicol

My time in Kampala for now has come to an end, with 16 days in country this trip. I'm not sure I've found the ideal length of time for a productive trip. My shortest visit has been 4 days (passport issues....long story) which is not near enough time to get over the jet lag, and my longest 21 days. I have an active research lab back in the States, as well as students and other mentees so it is difficult to be away longer than 3 weeks. Plus I have this one waiting at home for me.

My 13 year-old terrier mix Sadie
I may be leaving Kampala but the work in Uganda continues. I know I will be leaving the students in capable hands with pharmacists Prosperity and Winnie here. This endeavor would not have been possible without their help and I truly think we have created a valuable variety of experiences for the students. I went into academia because nothing excites me more than introducing someone to new experiences or ideas. Nothing means more to me than being able to share my opportunities and experiences in Uganda with the students.  Thanks to video conferencing with Skype and Google Hangouts, I will be able to frequently stay in touch.We already have several meetings and discussions planned over the next two weeks while the students complete their rotation.
The staff at We'lo Inn were very gracious hosts.
The research continues as well. Although I haven't yet been able to share on this blog all of the projects I am involved with, I was able to touch base with all of my collaborators this trip and discuss ongoing projects as well as those in development. One of the challenges of doing international research is not being physically present. The key is to have strong collaborations and invested people on the ground to keep the projects moving forward. I try to make it to Uganda at least twice a year- I think this is important because it shows my collaborators that I am also invested and committed to these projects. I am thankful that technology today means it is easy to stay in touch. 

There were some new things for me this trip. This was my first time visiting the Gadaffi Mosque, the Uganda Museum, and Murchison Falls. I tried a rolex for the first time. I learned Pepto Bismol chewables are >>> the liquid (as a pharmacist it probably shouldn't have taken my six trips here to realize that). I learned some new Ugandan phrases like "American height" (apparently a coveted trait). Lastly, despite being involved with the meningitis research team for some time, I learned more about treatment and care of meningitis patients in these 2 weeks than the previous 2 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment