Search This Blog

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Sara's Post-APPE Reflections


By Sara Brown

Today, we gave a presentation on pharmaceutical care in the US. We discussed how pharmacists have moved from being in a purely dispensing role to one that is more clinical-based. I realized I never had to work for this since I am entering pharmacy at a time when clinical pharmacists already have an established position, unlike in Uganda. Here, I have met pharmacists that have paved their way into their current role. They are working hard at being a mentor for young pharmacists to inspire them to step beyond a traditional dispensing role and into one of a clinician. It is a culture change that will take time to be accepted, adopted and implemented.

Looking back over the past month, it is hard to pick out a favorite day or memory (embedded are some great pictures, though). I experienced a lot of what Uganda had to offer: safaris, street food, plantains, fresh pineapple, Nile River rafting and more. However, I was also exposed to poverty, lack of healthcare resources and endemic infectious diseases.


My perception on Ugandan healthcare has dramatically changed. Beforehand, I was expecting primitive care. Now, I understand that doctors practice evidence-based medicine just like in the United States, but the lack of resources is the driving factor behind the difference in care. Having daily labs for a patient is something I never thought twice about, before coming to Uganda. From my experience in these different hospitals, daily labs are not possible. Oftentimes, the patient’s family cannot afford to get labs done. Or, there is no family member present to bring the sample to the lab. Or, the hospital is lacking the resources to get the sample processed. It is a problem I have never been exposed to before and I realized I have taken so much for granted.

I have also grown in character in the past month, partly due to being abroad, but also due to having experience as an almost-pharmacist. By participating in rounds, answering questions and making drug therapy recommendations, I am gaining valuable knowledge and experiences that increase my confidence.


I will miss aspects of Uganda: the warm hospitality of people, the beautiful weather, the slower pace and the relaxed atmosphere. The fresh fruit is incredible, too. However, I am thankful to leave the steep hills and traffic behind! I am very glad I participated in this APPE, I would highly recommend it!


No comments:

Post a Comment