Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Sara Brown intro


Hello, my name is Sara Brown and I am a PD4 on the Duluth campus. Mason, Wisconsin is where I call home. It is a small village out in the country; we even live on Brown Road. I have two older brothers and one adorable, 16-month-old nephew. I’m the first in my family to obtain degrees of higher education and work in healthcare. Stream fishing, road biking, and running are my favorite pastimes. October 7, 2018 will be my fourth full marathon.

I believe life consists of moments, experiences, and opportunities. I push myself to do things because I know I may never get the chance again. Due to that mindset, I studied abroad in India for 3 weeks during my undergrad to learn about infectious diseases and population health. I was able to compare public health services to private and see firsthand the wide gaps in healthcare. After that, I got the travel bug. This January I went to Cusco, Peru for a medical service trip and provided free, basic healthcare to Spanish-speaking locals. Shortly after, a vacation to Paris, France and Naples, Italy was in order. Now, I get to go to Uganda, Africa! Four countries on three different continents, all within in five months—life is about going outside your comfort zone and accepting unique opportunities.

After graduation, I am considering a residency out West and potentially specializing in infectious disease. I am also thinking about occasionally volunteering internationally in an underserved region. This trip will help solidify or rule-out these considerations. I am most excited to see what healthcare is like in Kampala and how it differs from the US. I also love learning about different cultures and seeing different ways of life. I am most nervous about finding the time and space to continue my marathon training for this month, but I’m sure it will be fine. For preparation, I brushed up on infectious disease notes and Googled information about Kampala, Uganda.

1 comment:

  1. Great writing and I am excited to follow your blog and adventures !

    ReplyDelete